25 Things About Me
The fundraising won’t end but the level challenge is over as of midnight tonight, August 31, 2012. It was successful effort and I’m profoundly grateful to those who donated and to those who will donate. Y’all don’t be afraid to be click on that donate button. Since I’m pretty much public now, here’s more about me:
- Why yes, I am a self-centered, egotistical bastard. Now that that’s out of the way, feel free to keep reading.
- I’ve been around the world. In my youth I bought a round-the-world plane ticket and spent a couple of months bumming around Asia with my brother and then flew on to England where I attended university for a year.
- My high school diploma is from a snooty New England private school.
- For six months, a 28-foot sailboat was home for me, a wife, and a cat.
- Heights terrify me. It’s really bad. Don’t get me started on large insects. Shudder.
- I have malaria but haven’t had an attack in a few years.
- Car? What car? My motorcycle has 120K miles on it. (2004 Suzuki V-Strom 650)
- TV? What TV? All Internet, all the time.
- There are scars on my body from injuries while working as a roughneck on an oil drilling rig in the United Arab Emirates.
- The FriendZone® – while in high school, I explored all of it. It’s a bleak and soulless place.
- My degree? BA in Geography so don’t tell me to get lost, I can’t.
- Well, I do get lost in shopping malls. It’s embarrassing.
- There’s a piece of paper in my desk that certifies me to teach high school in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It’s legit.
- “…one giant leap for mankind.” I saw that on live TV. But I was really young at the time.
- The winter air pollution in Santiago, Chile is awful. My boogers were black for months.
- There are four huge regrets in my life, three of them involve the hearts of three women.
- In 1983, there was a factory in China that still manufactured steam locomotives. The tour was awesome. It was like being in Vulcan’s workshop.
- Since I was 18, I’ve had over 30 separate mailing addresses.
- So far, an honest fist fight has eluded me in life. Relax, I’m not looking for one.
- One brother, one step-brother, two step-sisters.
- Other than heights and huge insects, I’m not really scared of anything. Yes, that includes death.
- It’s likely obvious to my readers that I don’t have kids.
- 260 lbs at my heaviest four years ago, 190 lbs now. It was a lifestyle change.
- On a weird weekend, a school friend and I went into the outback to hunt kangaroos. I wasn’t a good shot. He was a good shot but the kangaroos were too fast.
(I may or may not answer questions in the comments… it depends on the questions.)